Tuesday, March 13, 2012

A new z/OS release every 2 year ?

I won't pretend to be the first to publish about this, because I just read it in Cheryl Watsons List which I received this morning. If you don't receive it yet, you can find the content over here.
So Jeff Magdall, z/OS program leader from IBM, held the MVS Program Opening and Keynote at Share yesterday. Don't go looking for the presentation, it's over here, but for the moment, there's just a title slide.

So, what's it about ? I'll quote Cheryl's list :
"Today at SHARE, Jeff Magdall, z/OS Program Leader from IBM, described an upcoming SOD (Statement of Direction) for z/OS. Starting with z/OS 1.13, z/OS releases will now be available every other year instead of every year. That means that the next release of z/OS will be the second half of 2013 (not September 2012, as expected). I think this is terrific news for our customers! IBM has found that only 5% of z/OS customers migrate every year, while the great majority of customers migrate every other year or so".
So what could the release scheme look like then ?

TO AVOID ANY CONFUSION I REMOVED THE GRAPH + MOST OF THE COMMENTS ON IT AS IT WAS DEFINITELY NOT CORRECT

(...)
If, I say, if EOS dates should move up one year, perhaps some customers will have their releases longer supported or they might save some money by avoiding Lifecycle Extension Support on their current release.

As soon as anything official comes out, I'll definitely share all the details with you.

No comments: